Food Supplements: Should you take them?
Since a very young age we have been told to consume a well balanced diet with fats, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and fibre to maintain a healthy mind and body. A balanced diet is known to help the body fight diseases, enhance the brain and brawn power, maintain external glow and control the body weight.
But how many of us are able to regularly eat a nutritious diet? Perhaps a handful. But even for those who take a balanced diet, getting the right nutrition becomes difficult as the food available today is not as nutritious as it used to be due to pollution, pesticides and environmental toxins. Also many times due to stress, age and lifestyle, our bodies are not always equipped to absorb the nutrition from the food we eat. Hence food supplements prove to be extremely beneficial for our health.
Food supplements are dietary or nutritional supplements that as the name suggests supplement the diet to ensure that recommended levels of nutrients are maintained in the body.These supplements are usually available in the capsule or tablet form.
While meeting dietary recommendations is one of the reasons why one should take these supplements, there are a few other reasons for you to consider taking them:
- Fight Free Radicals The use of pesticides and insecticides in our agricultural produce and exposure to environmental toxins create free radicals which adversely affect our health. Supplements packed with antioxidants help restore a balance and boost immunity by fighting free radicals.
- Enhances nutrition absorption
As we age, our body’s capacity to absorb nutrients decreases significantly. Apart from this, the intake of a lot of medication also depletes the nutrition levels in the body. Intake of supplements enhances nutrition absorption.
- Prevents health concerns Poor eating habits, consumption of junk food, exposure to free radicals cause inflammation which in turn lead to chronic diseases or hair and skin concerns like hair loss, skin dullness, acne etc.
A wide range of Food supplements are available to address various concerns and nutritional deficiencies. Here are some of the usual nutrients for which people take supplements:
- Vitamin E VItamin E helps to maintain cell function, controls inflammation, boosts immunity, moderates the performance and production of enzymes, proteins and hormones. It also protects skin from damage and keeps it smooth and hydrated.
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 Omega-3 and Omega-6 assist in keeping the skin plump, youthful, hydrated and wrinkle-free. They also improve eye health, reduce inflammation, prevent cancer, improve bone and joint health and alleviate menstrual pain.
- Beta Carotene
Beta-carotene, like all carotenoids, is an antioxidant that reduces inflammation. Our body converts beta carotene into vitamin A, which plays an important role in skin structure and health.
- Collagen Another popular protein among skin enthusiasts is Collagen which not only improves the health of the skin but also boosts muscle mass and promotes heart health. “Sleep deprivation, smoking and extreme UV exposure are some of the leading factors that kill collagen.”- Dr. Rashmi Shetty
- Glutathione (Link to the Glutathione Blog) Glutathione is a master antioxidant that promotes skin lightening by interrupting melanin synthesis. It also helps in body detoxification and boosting immunity.
- Folic Acid Folic acid works in conjunction with other antioxidants to remove toxins from the body. It also has the ability to strengthen hair, slow down the aging process, reduce acne and keep the skin firm.
How to use these food supplements?
While the food supplements don’t need any prescription from your doctor, it is advisable to consult your physician in case you are pregnant, have serious ailments or are below 14 years of age. It is also recommended to take the daily recommended dosage to see significant improvement in health.
We would recommend taking food supplements because what you put inside your body shows outside. At Solskincorp, we believe in assisting you in being your healthy and glowing self always and that’s why we have come up with an initiative to help you choose your right supplement. All you have to do is let us know about your lifestyle and we will send you a personalised supplement regime https://www.solskincorp.com/in/personalizedregime from our experts.
Let us know in the comments below your favorite Ra Supplements.